Plants You’d Like to See at Clover Creek Nursery

• Sumo

Every year at my plant sales I get a number of customers who ask me if I have this plant or that tree for sale. Sometimes the answer is ‘Yes’, but often it is ‘Not yet, but I’ll look into getting some’.

As a result I get a lot of great ideas from folks on what plants to start growing. The only problem is, a lot of times at the plant sales I get kind of busy with customers. I forget to write the plant name down, and soon I forget what it was.

So, now’s your chance to let me know what you’d like to see at my spring plant sales next week. I can’t promise I’ll be able to get it, but it can’t hurt to ask, right? Please go out to my website, to this page, and if you’d like to see me add a particular plant please add it to the comments. It’s that simple!

If you see something already added you can reply to their comment with your agreement, or just add it again. Either way will work just fine.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you want me to have it next year. I’ll be doing my final ordering in just a couple weeks. After that it will be too late to have anything ready to sell by next spring.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Plants You’d Like to See at Clover Creek Nursery

1. Elaine Howell ( that's Aunt Elaine, to you ) says:

Scottie, the two I am looking for are a Hibiscus plant (not sure they can grow outside in our region, during the winter). I would love to get a red and also a varigated (sp?) red. Also I want to get a Daphne bush ( I know there are lots of them, but I want the one that has a lot of fragrance, yummy smelling ). Are you into succulents ? Love those, easy to grow and they are hardy during the winter. O.K., think that is all for now, talk at ya later !!
    Love to all the family !!!! Love, Aunt Elaine

• Scott says:

Hi Aunt Elaine, cool, thanks for responding! I definitely have those on my list for next spring. I’m looking for some variegated fragrant Daphne, at least a couple different kinds. I’m pretty sure Hibiscus can survive outside in the Northwest, at least West of the mountains. Should be even better in your area than here in Tacoma. Love, Scott

2. Scott says:

From Marisa:

I would like to get at least 5 Gardenias and 5 or so Japanese Lace
    Leaf Maples. Also I would like 3 to 5 Lilacs,
    which I believe you had mentioned you usually have.I was wondering if
    you have/can get a few Wisteria?
    Thank you, look forward to hearing from you. Marisa

3. Janice says:

Can you get contorted filberts?

• Scott says:

I hope to have a few of these, also known as Harry Lauder’s Walking Stick. They are a higher-ticket item, but they are an amazing plant!

4. Sharon says:

Can you get double blooming lilacs?

I have 3 2-foot-tall stacks of the plastic pots plants came in. Would you like them for the nursery ?

5. Sally McKay says:

This was the first year we shopped your sale and everything purchased is thriving. It is probably too late to put in a request and maybe you already carry them, but I’d like a Kalmia (We called our native one Mountain Laurel and it grew in a bog on our friend’s property. Now the land is sold with no access.)

• Scott says:

That is what I love to hear, thriving plants! Even with the hot dry summer we’ve had for the last two months, too! You must be taking good care of them. I won’t be able to get Kalmia in time for my fall sales, true. I’ll keep a look out for them, though, for sure! Thanks for your suggestion.

6. ben says:

Love clematis. Looking for colors other than pink, purple or white, if there is
    such a thing?

• Scott says:

Thanks for the suggestion! Does magenta count? :) All my clematis is in that range of white, magenta, pink or a combination of those. I’ll definitely look for more. There’s probably a yellow one.

7. pat damery says:

Interested in different kinds and colors of Lewisia, thanks!

8. Teresa says:

I have acquired a couple of ceanothsis (sometimes called california lilac) over the years, though have not been successful with propagation. People stop by when they are in bloom and want to know what it is and where to find it. Have not seen any in my flower shopping this season. they can make a great hedge.
    Also, I sometimes get an overflow of starter size pots up to about quart size. Can you use any…..
    Happy plant hunting.

• Scott says:

Thanks for the suggestion! I bought a Victoria Ceanothsis last year to propagate, but all my cuttings from it died, and now it is not doing well either. I want to get this one going for sure, though, as it is a great hedge plant. Hopefully next spring I’ll have some.
      As for the pots, I don’t really need anything that small. I already get more than I need of them, so they just end up going into the recycle bin. If you have 2 quart or large, though, I can definitely use those. Thanks!

9. Rob Buda says:

rhododendeon:
    Dark purple, almost black,
    yellow,
    orange

• Scott says:

Thanks Rob! I had some nice purple ones earlier this spring, but they sold out fast. I will be selling more of those as well as many other colors next spring again.
      Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Cheryl says:

Am looking for Hellabores for their year round color.

• Scott says:

Thanks for the suggestion! I have had these on my mind the last couple seasons, just haven’t added them to the inventory yet. I’ll keep my eye out for some.

11. Bana Doyle says:

Howdy Scott, just thinking I really like native plants. The “wildflower type” they are amazing and truly beautiful. Oxalis, Lupine, Cinquefoil, Foam flower, Violet Viola Hederacea and something not so wild nor native here in Washington, Honeysuckle. Not trumpet vine, ones like my grandmother had planted in N. Carolina, the fragrance was so intoxicating. Grew on enormous vines, the flowers were white/cream and yellow with a tinge of pink. I have not found it around here. Thank you and I look forward to next spring. Happy planting.

12. Dawn says:

I would like to see more varieties of succulents. I can only find the basic plants and would love to see more types.

Thanks!

13. Enid says:

Plants like Christmas aloe, succulent, and other house plants also running and climbing plants

14. Jennie says:

Looking for bamboo and a larger variety of heuchera (bright green and orange)

15. Carol says:

Haven’t read all the other requests yet but I will. I love Heavenly Bamboo. We have two that I planted several years ago and they are beautiful. I would purchase more if you had them. I have lots of the regular bamboo which is kind of a bear to keep contained, but I love the poles I harvest!

16. John says:

Scott, thanks for wanting feedback. My desires are plants that are not of the general nursery trade variety. I like finding plants that are somewhat uncommon (at least to me) and blooming at times when my gardens me be at a lull, like now. There are so many plants that peak in June and then by August the garden looks a little anemic. For instance, on Saturday I found a beautiful balloon flower in full bud and bloom. Incredible bud shapes and the blue color of the flowers was amazing.
    I’m also always looking for plants that have clear, intense colors; bright reds, oranges, coral and yellows.

17. Leisa Strickland says:

Bay Leaf tree/bush please!!!!